Give Your Kids a Walk Break

Sometimes all kids need is an opportunity to walk out whatever is bothering them. In my classroom, I give my students lots of opportunities to do this across the school day. This is often a preferred break  for my students. I structure this break so that it is purposeful for my students. If students are having a particularly rough day I may have them carry a weighted backpack for more input while walking.  In addition, I also make sure that students have a smooth transition from this preferred activity. Successful transitions for students on the autism spectrum are critical. They need to have a clear understanding of what is happening next.  With that being, I created visual walk schedules for my students. I learned this strategy from a veteran teacher years ago. The visual walk schedule gives students a timeline of when the break is over. I often have my students take a path around our school.  They hold the walk schedule and complete three laps. After each lap they place the star over the lap they completed. At the end of their walk break  I sign to students that we are "all done." Students also have the "all done" visual on their schedule. I have found this to be a very successful strategy to transitioning students back to the classroom. They know what the parameters of  the break are and they know what is happening "next."
Another way I utilize this walk schedule is to have non-verbal students "walk and talk" using their communication devices. As we are on our walking path students can stop off and talk to teachers and students. This is another great way to increase students appropriate social and communication skills while meeting their sensory needs. It is also a great way for students to create meaningful friendships in our school. Let what you love be what you do. See the Possible. Peace

Have a great week friends.

Dulce
XO

Comments

Popular Posts