Yogarilla in the Classroom

In my classroom I love to share my interests with my students. With that being said, I love yoga and share this passion with my students daily. I started my yoga journey when I was 27 years old. At that time in my life I was teaching, waitressing on the weekends, and going to school at night. My days and nights were jam packed. During this time I was often very anxious, sleep deprived, and worried financially. I turned to yoga as a way to cope with everything going on in my life. I became addicted to the practice and made a point to attend yoga class every Sunday morning. It was my routine that  I looked forward too. As I attended classes each week my mind and body began to shift. Not only was I becoming more flexible but I was learning how to focus on the present. The present is all that really matters. Learning to live in the present is still a struggle for me but I am more mindful when I catch myself slipping away from that. I still struggle with bouts of anxiety. Some days are better than others but I have more tools to be able to cope with being me.
With that being said, I understand that my students also struggle with anxiety and do not deal well with changes. Over the last two years, I have used the Yogarilla yoga program in my classroom. At first, I was skeptical if my students would be able to physically get into the poses or enjoy yoga as much as I do. I was wrong my students love to practice yoga. They have also developed increased physical strength such as rolling on their stomachs and bearing weight in their arms and legs.  We practice yoga two times a day in our classroom to serve as sensory breaks. We work on a sequence of four poses each week. Students have their own individual mats and they understand that they need to stay on their mat and in their area. Using the Yogarilla cards I hold up each card for a visual for students. We hold each pose for ten counts. Each session lasts approximately five minutes. The sequence of poses allow students to get on their stomach and up on their arms and legs. Poses we are currently working on include baby cobra, push up, jet plane, table, and down dog or dolphin. The weight in their joints is very calming to them. The practice of yoga has increased my students ability to calm and transition successfully to the next activity in our classroom. Additionally, the practice of yoga is also an activity that my students can carry with them into their adult life. It could possibly be an activity that they do to be apart of our community outside of school.
Follow the link if you would like to order Yogarilla for your classroom. You won't regret it.
https://www.amazon.com/Super-Duper-Publications-Yogarilla-Activities/dp/1586508601/ref=sr_1_2?crid=K92W9PWH5BE5&keywords=yogarilla+yoga+cards&qid=1569191116&sprefix=yogarilla+%2Caps%2C862&sr=8-2

See the possible. Until next friends. Have a great week teachers.

Dulce XO

Comments

Popular Posts