7 ways to combat teacher burnout

This is my seventh year teaching and I feel that every year I teach the demands to keep my classroom moving become more and more each year. Maybe the state does require more from teachers. Or maybe I just care more about my students. Or maybe I am  just perfecting my craft. Whatever it is I have experienced bouts of  burnout over the last seven years. I am not the only one that has experienced this. Many of my friends have left teaching and moved into completely different occupations due to burnout. They have often felt overwhelmed by the demands of their classroom. 
So what is my secret for combating bouts of burnout throughout the school year. 

How I combat teacher burnout? 

1. Taking time to reflect on why I am in the profession to teach. I am a big believer in living a purposeful and fulfilling life. Taking time to reflect gives me a renewed purpose on why I do what I do. If your not in it for kids get out. 

2. Make daily lists. I have been carrying around a notebook for years. In the notebook I write down each day what I need to complete ordered by level of importance. I believe one of the biggest contributors of burnout is teachers are not sure what to make a priority in their classroom. Take the biggest problem (student behavior, classroom management) or task (making copies, planning)  and make it first. 

3. Have a teacher pal. Bouncing ideas off of other teachers make it easier to come to solutions for challenges in the classroom. I talk to my classroom speech pathologist almost daily about student behavior, goals, and communication. I share my wild ideas with her  and she tells me if their crazy or not. It's the perfect balance. 

4. Do something for you. Some days I honestly fall asleep when I get home. I am exhausted mentally and physically from the school day. And to be even more honest on Fridays I have been known to fall asleep in my clothes I wore that day. You can get in the cycle of not doing anything for you. I think it is a  downfall to all caregivers nature. I give myself  permission to sleep but pull myself together to make time to run throughout the week. I will go to the gym at 9'oclock at night to run. If you are constantly in work mode you will burn out fast. 

5. Say "yes" to more. This is still a challenge for me. Say "yes" to going out with friends and family. The older you get the harder it gets to see your closest friends. People move, get married, and have children making it harder to spend time together. I have caught myself saying "no" to more to stay home and plan for my classroom. I am working on saying "yes" more and "no" less because times flies.  But this is honestly probably the hardest area for me because I am a perfectionist and over achiever by nature. 

6. If it does not bring you joy get rid of it. My first few years teaching I wanted to be apart of every school climate activity. I wanted to be apart of every committee. Now if I am not passionate about the project or committee I give myself persmission to not be involved. The more spread thin you are the less time you have to focus on what really matters your students. 

7. Some things iron themselves out. I think we can all attest to having students that constantly push the limits with everything. We are not sure how to reach them. We often question our judgement and ability to teach them. Just understand that often times as the child matures things start to change for them. You may sees things academically and behaviorally just click for them over night. Be kind to yourself everything will work out as it should. 

Hope these tips help you over the upcoming hectic holiday months. See the possible. 
Have a great week teacher friends. Be kind to yourself. You are doing great. 

Dulce XOXO 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts