Setting Intentions Makes You a Better Teacher and Happier Person

With each new year come resolutions that we often set for ourselves. I am not one for resolutions but rather set goals or intentions for each new year. My intention  for this year is to clear the clutter and noise in my life. Think about all the noise and clutter in your life? Meaningless scrolling on social media, small conversations, gossiping, jealously, material possessions, listening to the negative voice inside all of  us, holding onto past wrongs and the list goes on and on. Think about how that impacts your everyday interactions in your classroom? The noise and clutter in my life causes distraction, anxiety, and most importantly not living in the NOW. The NOW is all that really matters. What a gift it is to do what I love each day and that is to teach. What a robbery it is to not be present for the big and small victories my students make each day. What a robbery it is to get caught up in completing deadlines and miss my "Why" for teaching. We can all attest to this that we have felt this way teaching. By setting intentions it allots time for you to reset to clear the clutter and best serve your students. Here is a list of my intentions and goals  for the 2020 year as they apply to my personal and professional life.

1. Inhale Peace. Exhale Anxiety. Inhale anything that you need (insert) and exhale anything that no longer serves you (insert). I do this throughout the day when I feel overwhelmed.

2. Let positivity out of your lips.

3. Unplug Weekly. I do this on Sundays. I attend church and then do not get on my phone for the rest of the day. If people need to find me they know where I live :)

4. Practice gratitude. I write down three things that I am thankful for each night. Whatever from the day that comes to mind. It is a good way to remind myself of my blessings and how far I have come. I went to counseling when I was 27 and this was a suggestion my counselor gave me.

5. Don't be so hard on yourself your doing great. Often times we never see ourselves they way others see us. We are our own worst critic. It is a daily battle to tame the negative voice inside of us.

What are your intentions for this new year. Have a great week teachers.

See the Possible.

Dulce XOXO


Comments

Popular Posts